Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Preamplifier
Do you have a large collection of vintage records? Or are you tempted by the ongoing vinyl revival? If so, the XPS-1 high-performance phono preamp is exactly what you need to breathe new life into your analog media. With high precision and low noise, the XPS-1 is perfect for connecting a turntable to any line stage, preamp, or other audio equipment with line-level RCA inputs.
Emotiva's little phono stage, dubbed the XPS-1 is compact, well made and universally adaptable to any system. The sound it produces is vivid and upbeat with very low background noise.You can also expect great build quality in its compact form factor. The all-metal case and gold-plated connectors make the XPS-1 look like a little piece of jewellery.Well-engineered power supplies such as the Emotiva one here tend to support the drive in music. This is communicated by an energetic boogie factor that is the XPS-1’s calling card throughout the listening period.
The Emotiva XPS-1 joins the party and lays down a rollicking performance with upbeat music delivering driving bass, edgy electric guitar and rhythmically precise drum work. The XPS-1 shows its mettle time and time again by keeping everything in its place, even when things get heated up. The little Emotiva also does an excellent job of handling vocal sibilants where lesser designs might over accentuate them or they may fuzzy or hard-edged, the XPS-1 did them very naturally. This little guy has a vivid, lively and upbeat sound with agile bass response. The vocal sibilants are impressively clean as is the channel separation.
The Emotiva XPS-1 is a clear cut recommendation as a high value add-on for those without a phono preamp or as an upgrade for those with included phono stages in mass market receivers.
Advanced Design for Exceptional Performance
The XPS-1 takes its cues from Emotiva’s precision line-level equipment, with high-quality components throughout the signal path for accurate RIAA equalization, extremely low noise for even low-output cartridges, and vanishingly low distortion. Special attention was paid to the low-noise power supplies; both the external highly regulated AC supply and the individual switching supplies within the XPS-1.
Flexibility for a Broad Range of Cartridges
The circuitry in the XPS-1 is designed to provide the optimum gain and noise performance for both Moving Magnet (MM) and Moving Coil (MC) cartridges. You can configure the load impedance on the Moving Coil input to achieve the best sound for your particular cartridge.
Small and Affordable—Ideal for Multiple Turntables
Best of all, the XPS-1’s performance doesn’t come at a high price, and its small size makes it the ideal companion for your turntable, without sacrificing rack space. Have multiple turntables? Get an XPS-1 for each, and prepare yourself for sweeping vistas of beautiful analog sound—with 21st Century performance!
Emotiva XPS-1 Features
- Combines superb analog sound quality with excellent technical performance.
- Precise equalization to the standard RIAA curve (within +/- 0.25 dB).
- Support for both Moving Magnet (MM) and Moving Coil (MC) cartridges.
- User selectable termination impedance for Moving Coil cartridges.
- Exceptional signal-to-noise ratio and very low distortion.
- Sophisticated multi-stage power supply for superior noise performance.
- All metal case for ruggedness and excellent immunity from noise and interference.
- Convenient form factor for placement close to the turntable.
- Gold plated solid brass input connectors, output connectors, and ground terminal.
- Ideal for adding high-quality phono inputs to any stereo preamp or pre/pro.
- Small and economical enough _that you can use one for each turntable.
MM: 47k Ohms
MC: user selectable between 47, 100, 470, 1k Ohms
MM: 40 dB
MC: 60 dB
MM: RIAA + / - 0.12 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
MC: RIAA + / - 0.25 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N; A weighted):
MM: > 96 dB
MC: > 79 dB
MM: <0.0075 % @ 1 kHz; < 0.02%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
MC: <0.006 % @ 1 kHz; < 0.05%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
* Reprint from manufacturer's website