The NDX is a network audio player with the potential to transform music in the home. It can play UPnP audio streams, internet radio, iPod or iPhone audio, and files stored on USB memory hardware. Three high resolution S/PDIF digital inputs complete its versatility.
NDX is however more than just a versatile network audio player. It embodies Naim's unrivalled digital audio experience and knowhow to provide music reproduction quality equivalent to the best-in-class CDX2 CD player and HDX hard disk player . It makes music with vitality and clarity, rhythm and warmth. NDX defines a new class of high-end audio source equipment and brings to it genuine audiophile performance.
Connected to an analogue or digital preamplifier input, NDX unlocks the potential of network audio. Its network connection can be either wireless or wired, and NDX can stream audio files, including iTunes libraries, stored on a computer or on network storage, via UPnP. It can play all common, and some not so common, audio file and stream formats at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution: WMA, MP3, MMS, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF and Ogg Vorbis. NDX also recognises M3U and PLS playlists formats and supports gapless playback on all lossless formats.
NDX can play literally thousands of internet radio stations and an optional FM/DAB tuner module, that integrates seamlessly with the NDX control interface, is also available. NDX can play iPod or iPhone music via its front panel USB socket and, via the same socket, it can play audio files stored on USB memory sticks and drives. NDX is fully Apple Authenticated enabling playback of iPod/iPhone-stored digital media, bypassing the iPod/iPhone internal DAC for optimised performance.
Three independently selectable digital inputs enable S/PDIF audio signals from CD players, computers and other digital audio sources at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution to be handled by the NDX. Each digital input comprises a different connection socket option; optical TosLink, coaxial phono and coaxial BNC, to provide yet greater versatility and optimised sound quality.
Choice of control
Versatility and audio quality is worth nothing without an intuitive user interface and the NDX has three. It can be operated from its front panel buttons, from its remote control handset or using the Naim n-Stream app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The app also allows input and volume control of Naim preamplifiers and DAC.In each case, NDX control is simple, intuitive and satisfying.
Connected to a world of music
Connect an NDX to your existing audio system, and the world of network audio opens for discovery. It's a world of high resolution audio downloads, UPnP streaming, and the vast resource of internet radio. But thanks to Naim technology, it's a world of very high quality reproduction also, where music doesn't simply play in the background but lives, breathes and communicates.
For more technical detail please read the white papers available for the NDX.
- UPnP-enabled to stream audio files from any hard disk server, such as HDX or UnitiServe, network attached storage (NAS) or laptop/computer via the home network
- vTuner 5* full service Internet radio
- Optional FM/DAB* module
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player/iPod and USB-stored audio
- Apple authenticated enabling digital output from iPod/iPhone for ultimate quality control, charging and front-panel content display when connected to front-panel USB port via standard Apple digital connector
- Three 32bit/192kHz-capable S/PDIF inputs for external digital sources
- Multiple intuitive control interfaces: Front panel, remote control handset and iPhone / iPod Touch app
- Internal architecture for hi-res audio playback up to 32bit/192kHz over the network
- Ethernet network connectivity for reliability. Wireless also available for convenience.
- Streams/plays WAV, FLAC, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted content, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files from any suitable UPnP device or USB-connected storage device
- Full Naim Multiroom functionality including Party Mode
- Gapless playback available on all lossless file formats
- Digital output on 75Ohm BNC connector
- Switchable DIN/RCA Analogue outputs
- Wired remote in
- Wired remote out for preamplifier volume control
- Performance upgradeable with addition of external XPS or 555 PS power supply or external DAC digital to analogue converter
- RS232 for software upgrades
- SHARC DSP and buffering with fixed sampling rates
- Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering
- Optical isolation of all key elements
- Linear power supply with 200VA toroidal transformer with four separate windings for digital, DPS, audio clock and analogue sections
- Seven pole analogue output filtering
- Optical isolation of data control lines
- Ultra low noise triple-regulated power supplies
- Ground selector switch for optimum performance
- High quality Burr Brown PCM1791A DAC
- Naim reference non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
- OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility
- British design and build
Beneath NDX versatility lies one of the most technically ambitious and accomplished of all Naim products. The wide variety of digital audio data streams and signal types, and the necessity that each one is delivered to the NDX outputs with maximum fidelity, demanded first that many new and innovative techniques for electronic signal isolation had to be developed and refined. The full spectrum of Naim's uniquely advanced digital signal handling and processing techniques is also deployed in the NDX. The NDX uses, for example, the same RAM buffer and master-clock jitter removal technique of the Naim DAC outboard digital to analogue converter. It employs the same Burr Brown digital to analogue converter chip as fitted to the HDX hard disk player, and all the oversampling, filtering and signal management techniques that have brought Naim to the forefront of digital music in the home. Component selection and layout on the six layer main PCB is entirely optimised for sound quality and the classic Naim extruded non-magnetic aluminium case and chassis construction ensures microphony is minimised. NDX is a true audiophile product where maximising sound quality drives every development decision.
As with every Naim product, fastidious attention to power supply noise and regulation is a fundamental element of NDX performance. A massive mains transformer, oversize smoothing capacitors, independent power supplies and multiple regulators, along with painstakingly meticulous PCB layout and earthing topology, ensure minimal power supply noise.
Power Supply Upgrades
The NDX network player can be used in conjunction with the XPS* or 555 PS power supplies to significantly enhance its performance. However, only Classic Series XPS units are compatible with the NDX, not the older Olive Series versions. Olive Series XPS power supplies should never be paired with an NDX network player as this has the potential to cause the Olive XPS to overheat, damaging the product*.
*Please note: this only applies to Olive Series XPS units when paired with the NDX. The old Olive XPS is compatible with CDX and CDS model CD players, the HDX hard disk player and the DAC digital to analogue converter.
|Sample Rates Supported
||S/PDIF up to 192kHz
||Front panel socket
||Hi-Res UPnP playback up to 24bit/192kHz (WAV and FLAC)
||DAB (Band lll and L Band), FM 87.5-108MHz
||DIN and RCA
|Line Outputs Fixed (level)
||2.1V rms at 1kHz
||10Hz ‰ÛÒ 20kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB
|THD + N
||Linear phase, absolute phase correct
|Digital Outputs (type)
||S/PDIF, 75ë© BNC
|Line Outputs Fixed (level)
||XP5 XS, XPS, 555 PS
||DAC digital to analogue converter, Hi-Line, Power-Line
||Infra Red (RC5)
||1 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated/unmodulated)
||2 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated/unmodulated)
||DE9 female (For software upgrade only)
||1 x front panel
|Audio Formats Supported
||WAV, AIFF and FLAC (up to 24bit/192kHz ) ALAC (up to 24bit/96kHz) Ogg Vorbis (up to 320bit/s) Windows Media-formatted content-9 (up to 320kbit/s) Playlists (M3U, PLS) MP3, M4a (up to 320kbit/s)
||Master: Will stream native quality WAV, FLAC and AIFF (up to 24bit/48kHz), ALAC (up to 16bit/44.1kHz), AAC and MP4 (up to 16bit/48kHz) files only Client: Will play 320kbps MP3 quality only
||Nine button matrix
||Remote handset included; optional n-Stream User app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad available to download from the iTunes App Store
|Power Supply Options
||Internal Integrated or External
||100V, 115V, 230V; 50 or 60Hz
||Apple (Made for iPod), vTuner Premium
||MP3, AAC, DAB
||87 x 432 x 314mm (H x W x D)
||240 x 590 x 500mm (H x W x D)
||Windows Media is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation. UPnP is a trademark of the UPnP forum. iPod, iPhone and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc, registered in the U.S. and other countries. Please note information provided relating to specification is subje